One of the summer sports offered at Wynberg Boys’ High School, our Athletics program provides the boys the chance to compete at the highest level. Our athletes follow training programs pertaining to their various disciplines, with structured coaching and development suited to each specialisation. With a wealth of knowledge and expertise in all areas of athletics, our coaches offer the optimal environment for athletes to thrive in.
- Inter-house Athletics: This takes place at the beginning of each year.
- Inter-School meetings during the first term..
- Zonal’s: Zonal’s take place in 2nd term and consist of three rounds. Those who make it through all three rounds are then selected for the Western Cape team that goes on to take part at Nationals
- Quadrangular Athletics Meetings – held in the 4th term between Wynberg, SACS, Bishops, and Rondebosch, with each school taking a turn to host.
- Inter-House Relays: held in the 4th term.
An appropriate school kit is to be worn during practice. At all events, learners must wear their Wynberg Navy Shorts with their Athletics vest.
Coaches & Teams
Our athletics team is overseen by Mr Estian van der Merwe. The sporting year kicks off with an annual Inter-House Sports Day in which the eight houses of Wynberg Boys’ High School face off against each other in various athletic competitions. Our first inter-school event takes the form of an athletics meeting with SACS, followed by various other inter-school fixtures which take place throughout the year. These events serve as qualification opportunities for Western Province and SA team selections, allowing boys to compete and excel at the highest level. We encourage our boys by providing opportunities for learners to attain Colours, Blues, or Honours in Athletics.
Contact Mr Estian van der Merwe: firstname.lastname@example.org