Colours, Badge, and Houses - a Timeline
Shared between the High & Junior Schools:
Glebe House – Green
Oude Wijnberg House – Blue
Silverhurst House – Red
Sunninghill House – Yellow
Wynberg Boys’ High School:
Garrison House – Army Green
Hawthornden House – Burgundy
Littlewood House – White
McNaughton House – Black
Tennant House – Grey
Trovato House – Light Blue
The School Badge, as used since 1922, remains as the shared Wynberg Brand between the Boys’ Junior and High Schools.
Due to the current growth in the number of students and the growing need to provide more specialised pastoral care and support to our boys, the House System was extended to 10 Houses: Garrison, based on the influence of the military camp on Wynberg village, and Tennant which refers to the road parallel to what is now Brynderwyn Cottage, our school building after outgrowing Glebe Cottage.
2017 – Founders’ Day
Headmasters Jan de Waal (WBHS) and Cedric Poleman (WBJS) jointly announced the names of the Wynberg Houses to be introduced in January 2018.
Wynberg’s House System continues to flourish. Wynberg Boys’ Junior School competes between the original four Houses, Van Riebeeck, De Waal, Wellington and Rhodes; the High School’s eight Houses (the four originals and the later additions of Littlewood, De Villiers, Lorie and McNaughton) compete for the Friedlander Shield.
As part of the Wynberg Boys’ Schools’ commitment to relevancy and sustainability, and to ‘build on the good traditions of the past’, an ongoing Social Cohesion Project is launched. One task is to initiate discussion on the relevancy of the House names. Constructive consultation with all role players – students, staff, old boys, parents, and friends of the schools – over an 18-month period, delivers a clear mandate to rename the Houses.
The High School, on the introduction of the Tutor System and catering to expanded enrollment added three more houses, during the tenure of Headmaster, Mr Keith Richardson, Lorie (light blue) was named after the first Headmaster of the independent Junior School, Mr Arnold Lorie; McNaughton (black) after the first Headmaster of the Wynberg Schools; De Villiers (burgundy) after Sir Henry de Villiers (first Baron Wynberg), acclaimed by DH Thomson in his The Story of a School: “Lord de Villiers had fathered and built the school … Like Dr PE Faure before him, his name still has to be incorporated into the daily life … ”*
Littlewood Boarding House becomes the fifth High School House. Littlewood, with its own badge, and house colour white, joins Wellington, Rhodes, Van Riebeeck, and De Waal. The four original houses remain for the Junior School.
The cover of the Wynberg Boys’ School Magazine appears in colour for the first time and with it, the School Badge.
The first year of inter-house competition for the Friedlander Shield.
December, The Friedlander Shield was presented for House competition by Mr and Mrs Alfred Friedlander and their three sons in memory of Cecil Friedlander, son, and brother, who matriculated from Wynberg in 1928 and perished in World War II.
January, Mr Arnold Lorie (who began teaching at Wynberg in 1930) is appointed as the first Headmaster of Wynberg Boys’ Junior School when ” … the division [between increasing numbers in the Junior and Senior standards] became a practical reality.” *
“This departmental division of the school, however, has not in any way been allowed to disrupt the spirit of unity which has been a characteristic of the school since the beginning of the century when juniors were first admitted to Wynberg.”
The House System is introduced. “… the school was divided into four houses with the four quarters of the new badge differentiated as the house insignia and colours: Wellington, Rhodes, van Riebeeck, and de Waal Houses, therefore came into being …” *
The prefect system is inaugurated, and a new school badge (as in use today) is seen for the first time in their handmade, silver lapel badges.
“The badge with its shield and four quarters was originally designed and proposed by Councillor Stefanus Nicholas Ponder as the official crest of the Wynberg Municipality. The insignia within the four quarters represented: Van Riebeeck, Three Rings; Cape of Good Hope, Anchor; Military Camp, Tent; Viticulture in the Constantia Valley, Vine. The old motto was Vivat Crestat Floreat Vitis, or ‘May the vine live, flourish and increase.’ “ … “Mr Clegg applied to the Wynberg Municipality for permission to adopt their crest, changing only the motto, once unanimity could be arrived at on the exact wording … The Municipality readily agreed to the request, the prefects received their silver badges … and the blazer and cap badges appeared with Supera Moras subscribed in a convoluted scroll.” *
The boarding house reopens under the new Headmaster, Mr William (Bill) Clegg.
The boarding house closed due to a sharp decline in numbers, following the high cost of living increases in fees brought about by the national depression of 1908 – 1909.
The school colours of Navy & White were adopted, and the first school badge of intertwined letters: ‘W, H & S’, is worn.
Boarding at Wynberg begins, under the newly appointed Headmaster, Mr ET Littlewood.
The official founding date of the Wynberg Boys’ Schools under Headmaster, Mr John McNaughton.
An Oude Wijnberg Heritage synopsis. With thanks to the editors of the School Magazines from 1924 to the present day, and to the ‘chroniclers’ of our Schools:
Mr DH Thomson (The Story of a School, 1961)*
Mr Roger Goodwin (A School Reflects, 1991)
Mr Neil Veitch (Brothers in an Endless Chain, 2016) b