Friday 15 June 2018: Wynberg Cricket was delighted to accept an invitation from Uplands College in White River to tour during the mid-year holidays. This tour will fly our flag as a Wynberg Colts group of U14 and U15 players, giving them an invaluable pre-season experience against quality teams in Mpumalanga.
As in previous years when our 1st XI squad toured and discovered more in the outfield than just fielders, one of the highlights of the trip will be the opening match against our hosts at the Skukuza Cricket Club Oval in the Kruger National Park, where they will, according to the website, be able “ to add an adventure in the wild before, after and possibly during the match”. [Ed: parents need not fear an encounter in the slips with the ‘Big Five’. The Oval is within the Staff Village, and protected by great hands.]
We thank our schoolmaster coach, Mr Patrick Smith, for pulling the itinerary together – this is his old stamping ground, and his contacts, local friendships, and knowledge of the game will make this a classic school sports tour where cricket skills are developed along with opening new experiences in the ethos of our sport: ‘Friendship, Rivalry, and Competition’.
Wynberg wishes our touring party the very best – enjoy every moment, play with passion, and bring back memories to last a lifetime.
Juan James, Luke van Rensburg, Umayr Davids (captain), Shukri Abrahams, Faydie Domingo (vice-captain), Keanan Thyssen, Fawaz Ali, Jesse Prodehl, Gabriel Kiewitz, Lesly Harmse, Aiden Leak, Shane Rainbird
- Depart Cape Town 06h30
- Arrive OR Tambo 08h30
- Travel via Uplands College vehicles to White River
- Accommodation with Uplands College hosts
- Uplands vs WBHS. Skukuza Cricket Club, Kruger National Park. 40 over match.
- WBHS vs Jimmy Cook Academy (KES). Uplands Prep Runway field. Time cricket.
- Menlopark vs WHBS. Uplands Prep Main Oval. Time cricket.
- Hoerskool Nelspruit vs WBHS. Hoerskool Nelspruit. 50 over match.
- Garsfontein vs WBHS. Uplands Prep Main Oval. T20.
- Travel from OR Tambo from White River 13h00
- Depart OR Tambo 19h25
- Arrive Cape Town 21h35
A #WynbergMedia article with thanks to Mr Andrew Wylie, Wynberg’s Director of Cricket