Courtesy of the WBHS Archives in the Oude Wijnberg Museum – the digital copy of the 1949 School Magazine.
From School Notes in the Magazine :
This year has been no exception and again there has been an increase in the enrolment and consequent expansion of school activities in all directions. In one respect, however, contraction took place: that old landmark “The Incubator” has been demolished. Old Boys (at school around 1930) will remember their lessons in this old iron shed at temperatures of 100° F. in summer and the leaky roof in winter.
All passages and classrooms in the school have now been fitted with electric light. This is another improvement, each one of which affects our hopes of a new building in the inverse ratio. Two large guns (used by the cadets) have been mounted in the grounds near the tennis courts. The surface of the playing fields has improved considerably and great credit is due to the grounds committee for the change effected. A new pump producing 850 gallons per hour was also a contributing factor.