What is the RCL?
The Representative Council of Learners ( RCL ) is a governance structure of learners as stipulated in the SA Schools Act, 1996 ( Act 84 of 1996). It is the link between the school and the management of the school along with the governing body.
- The RCL is the body responsible for the creation of fine leadership hence why the RCL is also responsible for the encouragement of Active Citizenry.
- The RCL must model and assist in the upholding of the school’s values and ethos so as to help learners to conduct themselves in a courteous and responsible way.
- It is the duty of the RCL to ensure that the learners they represent subscribe to the code of conduct of the school.
RCL Committee 2016
Dian Fourie – chairman
Aslam Bezuidenhout- deputy chairman
Daniyal Matthews – secretary
Khanya Tsiki – head of reps
Tevin Petersen and Raiz Orrie – head of communications
Kim Verburg – head of projects
The RCL is the voice of the school. It is our job to make sure that any suggestions, complaints, problems or ideas from the students for practically anything related to the school, are heard and discussed. It is then our job to take action on these matters and to do our best to follow through with the good ideas and suggestions and to solve any problems or issues at hand.
Our Visions and Goals:
The main vision of the RCL is to work with and for the school. The RCL is devoted to promoting positive change in the school and we are always looking to improve the school in any way possible for the benefit of all students. We are willing to do our utmost to make a difference.
The biggest factor keeping the RCL going is the students of the school. Without the students, the RCL would not be able to function and that is why we want to do our best to work with the school in every way possible and to communicate with the school constantly.
- We will continue to motivate each and every student to live up to the standards of a Wynberg man.
- We will keep motivating each student to respect and take pride in our bathrooms.
- We plan to push for the rest of the bathrooms to be upgraded, as the new bathroom has been(For this we need co-operation from the school).
- We will do our utmost to serve the school to the best of our abilities in every way possible.
- We will improve the communication with the school in the form of more RCL assemblies (at least 1 or 2 a term) where boys can voice their opinions and ideas, and we will promote proper communication by using RCL representatives. This is vital for the RCL as they are the links with the rest of the committees.
- We will improve the schoolâ€™s knowledge of the RCLâ€™s activities by doing regular report backs on the progress of certain projects and tasks.
- We will make sure that the RCL notice board, and the RCL webpage is always kept up to date and looking good.
- We will make the RCL itself as efficient and productive as it can be, by keeping what works well and changing what doesnâ€™t.
- We will do our utmost to make a difference in not only the school, but in the community as well.
- To make sure that every suggestion is heard and discussed in the committee meetings.
- To always get the schoolâ€™s opinions on major projects through surveys.
- To make sure that proposals are written up properly, and that they are put through in the best way possible to ensure that we can deliver results.
- To come up with successful and innovative solutions to problems.
- To provide every student with the opportunity to participate in school governance and decision making.
- To make the RCL more approachable to the students, by continuing the goal of taking the RCL to the school.
- We will keep motivating each student to respect and take pride in their school grounds by promoting the No Litter and Making Wynberg Green Campaign.
- To work off the solid foundation laid by previous prefects and to re-inforce this foundation for future leaders and committees of the school.
- To produce leaders of a high standard for the future of the school and country.
- To not only provide results now, but for years to come after 2016.
- To ensure that the RCL and the school is better at the end of 2016 than it was at the start of 2016.