Van Riebeeck is one of the four original houses of the school, and takes its name from Johan Anthoniszoon van Riebeeck (1619-1677), who was Commander of the Cape from 1652-1662), under the auspices of the Dutch East India Trading Company. During his time here, Van Riebeeck developed a flourishing way-station for passing ships and is also credited with establishing the wine industry.
Van Riebeeckâ€™s Coat of Arms â€“ three annulets on a red background – was incorporated into the Coat of Arms of the fledgling village of Wynberg, with the three rings representing the three ships landed at the Cape at that time: Drommedaris, Reijger and Goede Hoop. In 1924 the school adopted the Wynberg Coat of arms as its school badge, but it is not clear when or why the background colour was changed from red to green.
Mr Justin van Winkel – jvanwinkel(@)wbhs.org.za (remove parentheses)
Mr A Grobler – agrobler(@)wbhs.org.zaÂ (remove parentheses)
Ms B Mhlomi – bmhlomi(@)wbhs.org.zaÂ (remove parentheses)
Mr P Smith –Â psmith(@)wbhs.org.zaÂ (remove parentheses)
Mr C Goosen – cgoosen(@)wbhs.org.zaÂ (remove parentheses)