Wynberg offers an incredibly wide array of subject choices for our Grade 10’s. All of these subjects are high credit subjects for university entrance. There are four core (compulsory) subjects:
- Home Language – English
- First Additional Language – Afrikaans or Xhosa
- Life Orientation
In previous years, students were also then required to pick three more elective subjects, offered in certain combinations, from the following list:
- Graphic Design
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Visual Arts
This year, we are also offering three additional timetabled options:
- Support Mathematics
- Study Period
The most important change, however, is that our students now have the chance to take four elective subjects. There are a huge number of benefits to this – some examples include:
- Boys can now leave WBHS with eight fully taught subjects rather than seven, giving them a competitive advantage.
- Only the best subject marks will count in terms of reporting.
- Boys who struggle with Mathematics can now have double the amount of teaching time on the subject.
- Those who cannot decide between two subjects, such as History and Geography for example, now get to do both.
- The additional subject can be dropped after the mid-year examinations or at the end of the year if the student decides to.
- Study periods will be used by the student to focus on different areas of the curriculum as and when they need to.