â€śWynberg Boysâ€™ High is serious about sportâ€ť
We are a boysâ€™ school who firmly believe in boys. It is for this reason that we offer and encourage competitive sport at Wynberg. The lessons learnt from sport and competition are lessons for life. Boys need to be active and compete with each other. Our policies and coaching methods are based on this belief. Sport at Wynberg is played with pride and passion, whilst embracing the Wynberg brand, with particular emphasis on Supera Moras â€“ Never Give Up.
The following sports are offered:
Coaching of sport is offered at three levels:
Firstly, we try to offer every boy (who is expected to be involved in both a Summer and Winter sport) at Wynberg a team, a coach and a weekly fixture.
Secondly, we also cater for those boys who are talented and want to progress to the highest level. For these boys we offer a number of professional coaches in a number of sports.
In addition, we offer a well-equipped school gym, DVD analysis and extremely competitive leagues.
Thirdly, sport at Wynberg is aimed not only at teaching pupils the advantages that come with teamwork, but also the correct etiquette, techniques, tactics and sportsmanship which will enable those who wish to aim higher to have the modus operandi with which to do so.
The school prides itself on its top class and professionally managed facilities:
– Two Hockey astros, one under floodlights
– the enormously picturesque Jacques Kallis Oval
– Five Rugby fieldsÂ in wonderful settings with the imposing Table Mountain as a backdrop
– a heated and floodlit swimming pool
– glass-backed squash courts
– Six TennisÂ courts
– newly surfaced basketball courts
To add to the sporting experience of a Wynberg boy, the school also offers opportunities:
– to play an annual derby against Grey High School with every age group at every level going on tour to Port Elizabeth every alternate year
– to tour regularly with various cricket, waterpolo and hockey teams in all the age groups
– undertake a cricket, waterpolo and hockey tour in every age group each year
– to participate in the prestigious Easter Rugby Festivals
– to participate in the Sun City Golf Challenge
– to participate in the top Squash festivals in the country
– to experience the biggest school boy rugby festival (800 players) in the country – hosted by WBHS
– to participate in the biggest under 15 waterpolo festival in the country, the Ian Melliar Cup – hosted by WBHS
– to participate in the only Cricket and Hockey Superskills Competition in the country
– To participate in the Nomads Hockey Festival for the Top Ten hockey schools in the country.