Our goal, as a department, is to help boys develop an appreciation of Mathematics, and its profound relevance in so many spheres of life. In class we strive to motivate each boy to take up the challenge of improving his mathematical skills and deepening his understanding of the subject, in the hope that he will work towards realising the full potential of his Mathematical ability.
From Grade 10 onwards, we generally encourage learners to take the more abstract Mathematics course, rather than Mathematical Literacy. Through the Academic Instituteâ€™s afternoon programme we provide opportunities for gifted learners to extend themselves, and we offer support to learners who are struggling.
We are currently enjoying the privilege of an innovative partnership between our Mathematics Department and the Epoch and Optima Trusts, which have granted the school funding to supplement the teaching of mathematics at Wynberg. Current projects included under this banner are listed below.
- The development of resource material by our curriculum developer
- The creation of an examination CD (developed in collaboration with other schools), which provides learners in each grade with a wealth of revision material
- The development of the school intranet as a resource base
- Professional development sessions for staff
- Evening meetings for learners who enjoy Mathematics and wish to explore topics beyond the school syllabus
- Equipping classrooms with data projectors and computers, in order to promote stimulation-rich teaching through the integration of various media into lessons